The Read Woke Challenge
- Monday, February 1, 2021
- 9:00 am
- Add to Your Calendar
This is an ongoing event that lasts through the end of September, 2021.
This is an ongoing event that lasts through the end of September, 2021. If you haven’t yet started participating in the Read Woke Challenge, with our Saratoga READS! Junior book title, now is a great time to start! By participating, you can earn chances to be entered into quarterly drawings for possiible prizes!
Read Woke, started by a Georgia school librarian, Cicely Lewis, is an online, self-paced reading challenge designed to encourage people of all ages to read books by and about people who are different from themselves - to experience voices from a variety and diverse mix of individuals. A Read Woke book is one that:
- Challenges a social norm
- Gives voice to the voiceless
- Provides information about a group that has been disenfranchised
- Seeks to challenge the status quo
- Has a protagonist from an underrepresented or oppressed group
How the challenge works:
- Sign up through Beanstack
- Earn virtual badges by reading books in each of the categories, or checking out some of our suggested activities (see suggested titles and events here)
- Earn 5 badges to be entered in one of our quarterly drawings for a Read Woke t-shirt to proudly declare your commitment to reading and learning about a world’s worth of different voices
T-shirt drawings take place in April, July, and October of 2021. Anyone who has completed their 5 badges within the three prior months will be entered in that quarter’s drawing.